Keene, NH – C&S Wholesale Grocers is proud to honor Mario D’Ambrosio as the company’s 2017 Volunteer of the Year. Mario has worked at C&S since 2012 and is a Selector at the C&S distribution center in Chester, New York. Throughout the past 12 months, Mario volunteered 1,000 hours for the all-volunteer fire department in Matamoras, PA, a community of 2,500 residents, where he lives.
C&S has recognized one person as its Volunteer of the Year since 2005 for lending their time, talent, and support to causes they care about in their community and for inspiring others.
Mario says, “I had no experience in the firefighting field and was up for something new. Matamoras Fire Department sent me for training and now I am an interior firefighter. It’s dangerous, but I like to help people.” Chief Thomas Long of the Matamoras Fire Department noted “Mario goes above and beyond for the department. He has also filled the position of Fire Safety Officer.” In that role, Mario focuses on community outreach and visits local schools to educate children about fire safety and prevention.
Mario will be personally congratulated by Rick Cohen, Chairman and CEO of C&S and will be featured on the company’s website and intranet. He will also be highlighted in the 2017 edition of the C&S Community Involvement Report.
In the month of April, which is National Volunteer Month, teams of employees at the C&S Family of Companies volunteered to accomplish more than 30 projects for nonprofit groups, including:
• Volunteered at a neighborhood event hosted by the Fresno Economic Opportunities Commission in Fresno, CA
• Planted a garden at the Bell Elementary School in Sacramento, CA
• Sorted food at the Emergency Food Bank of Greater Stockton in Stockton, CA
• Served lunch at the Senior Center in Enfield, CT
• Sorted and boxed food at Feeding South Florida in Miami, FL
• Sorted and packed food at Feeding Northeast Florida in Jacksonville, FL
• Cleaning and stocking shelves at United Against Poverty in Orlando, FL
• Packing bags of food for distribution to local agencies at the United Food Bank of Plant City in Plant City, FL
• Entertained children and families at the Ronald McDonald House in Jacksonville, FL
• Painted and landscaped at the Ke Kama Pono Safe House in Honoka’a, HI
• Assisted with the annual statewide food drive for the Hawaii Food Bank
• Painted and landscaped for senior citizens with Rebuilding Together Muscatine County and the United Way of Muscatine in Muscatine, IA
• Packed food boxes at Our Daily Bread Food Bank in Hammond, LA
• Prepared an apartment and sorted items for Harford Family House in Aberdeen, MD
• Cleaned up a highway in Hatfield, MA
• Sorted food at the Merrimack Valley Food Bank in Lowell, MA
• Collected children’s books for the Parent Community Engagement Center in Springfield, MA
• Cleaned up the grounds at the Southampton Road School in Westfield, MA
• Spruced up a park and trail with the Edison Greenways Group in Edison, NJ
• Painted at Keene Housing in Keene, NH
• Assisted at the Food Bank of the Hudson Valley in Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY
• Volunteered at the March for Babies in Central Valley, NY
• Renovated homes with Habitat for Humanity in Reading, PA
• Packed food boxes for seniors in need at the Second Harvest Food Bank of the Lehigh Valley in Nazareth, PA
• Served breakfast at an event for the Northeast Community Senior Center in Mt Wolf, PA
• Cleaned up with the Downtown Revitalization Group in DuBois, PA
• Helped with the spring clean-up at Leg Up Farm in Mt Wolf, PA
• Cleaned and did yard work at Ronald McDonald House in Greenville, SC
• Served dinner at One80 Place, a homeless shelter in Charleston, SC
• Packed bags for the BackPack Buddy Program at the Houston Food Bank in Houston, TX
Year-round, C&S encourages employees to volunteer through two programs: Dollars for Doers, which matches employees’ volunteer time with a donation up to 1,000 hours, and Team Up & Make Strides, which supports employees who raise funds and awareness by participating in events for charity.
About C&S Wholesale Grocers
C&S community involvement programs support initiatives to stop hunger and to promote the health and enrichment of communities that are homes to the company’s employees and facilities.
C&S Wholesale Grocers of Keene, N.H. is the largest food wholesaler and according to Forbes magazine, the 9th largest privately held company in the United States. The company distributes food to supermarkets, retail stores and military bases across the country.
Currently, C&S serves about 3,900 stores from more than 50 locations in 12 states. Among our customers are many of America’s best known companies, including Stop & Shop, Giant of Carlisle, Giant of Landover, Shaw’s, Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co. (A&P), Ralphs, Safeway and Target.