To affect positive change in our communities and to develop relationships with local nonprofit organizations, C&S launched the Mini Grant program in 2002.
We focus on “our backyard” and accept requests from community groups that are located within 20 miles of where we do business and where most of our employees live.
Requests for Mini Grant support are reviewed and decided upon by local C&S employees who understand local needs and who are involved in the community.
Looking to access a Mini Grant you’ve already started or had submitted in the past? Click here.
Mini Grants are:
- Cash up to $1,000 for projects and programs that improve the quality of life in communities and neighborhoods that help people and affect important local issues.
- Cash up to $500 for local special events to raise funds and awareness for local causes and organizations, or for community celebrations.
- Modest amounts of food/products for nonprofits to use for special events, celebrations or fundraising purposes. Click here to view our list of commonly requested items by location.
Deadline: All-electronic Mini Grant requests are accepted on the first of each month. Requests received after the first of the month will be included in the next month’s review cycle. Due to high volume we cannot expedite requests. All grants are awarded at the sole discretion of C&S.
Decisions: 2-3 weeks after the deadline.
In order to help as many community groups as we can, please ask for Mini Grant support every other year. You will be prompted to take an eligibility quiz prior to filling out each application.
To improve your chances of a positive response to your request, please review the following guidelines:
- C&S invests in nonprofit groups and organizations with 501(c)(3) designation by the Internal Revenue Service.
- Please focus on at least one of our core initiatives: Hunger, Children and/or Environment.
- Your request should address specific issues, community-wide concerns and have measurable results.
- Organizations must have two years of direct service experience prior to applying.
C&S does not fund:
Religious Organizations and Houses of Worship*
National health organizations and statewide/regional branches of national health organizations
Fraternal organizations (such as The Elks or Masons) or political organizations
Mass mailing appeals
Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, ethnicity, or sexual preference
Sports teams (other than youth-focused)
United Way member agencies** (with the exception of those that focus on hunger)
* If a religious organization coordinates an emergency food pantry that is located in a house of worship and makes the food available to people of all faiths, they may apply for a Mini Grant.
** C&S makes significant donations to the United Way by matching our associates’ contributions dollar-for-dollar. Community kitchens, food shelves, soup kitchens and other local hunger groups that are UW agencies are invited to apply for cash Mini Grants of up to $1,000. All other types of United Way agencies are invited to request product only.
Requests will only be accepted online via our application form here.
Visit our Donations FAQs page for more details.